Online renewal process for Asylum South Africa

Get a same day Cash Loan of up to R150 000 - Apply now

Fill out our easy application form now and experience the speed of Same Day Credit.

Your security is our top priority. Rest assured that your personal information is encrypted and handled with the utmost care. Our secure, state-of-the-art technology protects your data from unauthorized access. We adhere to strict industry standards to ensure a safe and confidential lending experience for you. Your financial well-being is our commitment.

This email renewal service is only for people who hold refugee or asylum documentation that expired on or after 26 February 2020. For all other services, including new applications for asylum, Home Affairs has said people must wait and they will announce additional services in time.

You must email the Refugee Reception Office where you received your most recent extension. (For example, if your asylum or refugee document was issued at Musina Refugee Reception Office, but you last renewed it in Cape Town, you should email the Cape Town Refugee Reception Office.) Each Refugee Reception Office has one email address for asylum seekers (section 22) and one email address for refugee status holders (section 24). If you are not sure which document you are using, it should be written on the top of your document. See the table below to find the correct email address.

Client emails the relevant email address requesting to extend their permit/visa*:
Section 22 permit holders [asylum seekers]
Section 24 permit holders [refugees]

What to write in the first email ?

When you write the email to Home Affairs, you must send this from your own personal email address. You should send one separate email for each person that is documented in your asylum or refugee file – for example, spouses or children. (Each of these emails can be sent from your own personal email address.) In the email, you must write your full name (as it appears on your refugee/asylum document) and your file number. In the subject line of the email, please write your file number as it appears on your document.

After you have sent your first email, Home Affairs will reply to your email with an attached template form and some requested information in the body of the email itself. The attached template form is called ‘Request for Extension or Reprint of Section 22/ 24 visa Template.’ You must now fill out this form as well as provide the required information in the email body itself. Do not add any additional information in the email body other than what is requested.

Some people have their spouses and children documented as ‘dependents’ in one asylum or refugee file.

If you are a family in one asylum or refugee file, you should send one separate email for each person that is documented in that file – for example, spouses or children. (Each of these emails can be sent from your own personal email address.)

It is important that this form is filled out correctly. Either, you can print this form and fill it out by hand, and then scan it as an attachment. Or, you can fill it out electronically using a PDF editor.

Make sure that:

You write all information clearly and make sure it is absolutely correct You fill out one form per person in your file

If you have children under the age of 18, that you as parent or legal caregiver, sign on their behalf.

The email address that you use on the form will be the email address that Home Affairs will be replying to. With this form, you must attach the three required documents. These are:

  1. A copy of the expired asylum or refugee document for each person in your file. This needs to be a clear colour scan, or a very clear photograph. Do not submit blurry or unclear photographs.
  2. An affidavit is only needed for those people who have lost their expired asylum or refugee document. If this is the case, you must go to a police station to have the affidavit commissioned and you must explain when and how the document was lost. You must include your asylum or refugee file number on this affidavit. (If you do not know your file number, please see page 4 of this infographic).
  3. For your proof of address, you must attach a bank statement, lease agreement or utility bill. If this is not possible, you can submit an affidavit that states your name, file number and current address. This can be done at any police station.