MomConnect is a National Department of Health initiative using cell phones to register each pregnancy in South Africa. MomConnect has three main objectives:
- To register each pregnancy at a government health facility.
- To send stage-based, personalised SMSes to each mom in the registry.
- To allow women to engage with the health system through help desk tools and services.
How To Register for MomConnect
Ask someone at a public health care facility to confirm that you are pregnant.
- Dial *134*550# from your cellphone to register.
- Answer a few simple questions about your pregnancy.
- You will then be registered
- Pregnancy is registered in the national database
- User receives weekly SMS messages to inform them of their pregnancy and baby health (up to when the child is one year old)
- Registered pregnant women will receive an SMS appropriate to their stage of pregnancy. MomConnect will also encourage expecting mothers to start ante-natal care, test for conditions such as hypertension, HIV/Aids and diabetes very early in their pregnancy. It will also emphasise preventing mother to child transmission at 14 weeks.
Once the baby is born, new moms can reply “baby” to any SMS sent from MomConnect for information on how to care for their babies until the age of one year.
MomConnect USSD codes
Number to dial from mobile phone
Who Dials it?
What does the line do?
Free to access?
Pregnant Woman, on her own phone
This is the one stop line for all pregnant mothers to dial for MomConnect where they can get all the information they need. Pregnant women can dial this line to signup for a small set of messages about MomConnect AND access additional Baby and Pregnancy Info AND to log a complaint or compliment. Women still need to go to a clinic to sign up for the full set of messages.
Pregnant Woman, on her own phone if she wants to opt out
This is the number that a women must dial if she wants to stop receiving messages for any reason (including loss of a baby or stillbirth). On this number the women can also inform us of why she wanted to opt out. Women can also opt out of receiving messages by replying ‘STOP’ to any of the messages she receives.
Nurse/ Clinic Representative
on any phone (e.g nurse’s own phone; facility phone; mom’s phone)
This is the only number where you can register a pregnant woman for the full set of messages. Only a Clinic representative can register a mother because a clinic code is needed to complete registration. Do not use this number for demonstrations and training. Do not promote this number to mothers directly. This number is for facility use only.
CHW on any
This number will allow a CHW to sign pregnant women up to a small set of messages about MomConnect. Women still need to go to a clinic to register for the full MomConnect program and full set of messages. Do not promote this number to mothers directly. This number is for CHWuse only.
Pregnant woman, on her phone
The day after a pregnant woman registers at the clinic, she will get an SMS from MomConnect. In this SMS she will be asked to dial this number, to rate the service. Only women who have been fully registered for MomConnect, will be able to do this.
Anyone during training on any phone
This number is for demonstrations, testing and training purposes ONLY. A pregnant woman will not be signed up to the programme if you use this number.
No Costs 20c/20sec
Get a same day Cash Loan of up to R150 000 - Apply now
Fill out our easy application form now and experience the speed of Same Day Credit.
Your security is our top priority. Rest assured that your personal information is encrypted and handled with the utmost care. Our secure, state-of-the-art technology protects your data from unauthorized access. We adhere to strict industry standards to ensure a safe and confidential lending experience for you. Your financial well-being is our commitment.